Notes on Creativity theme of the week:
Characteristics of Creativity
- As a child I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books. Every few pages I was given a choice like “Go fight the beasts or run in the opposite direction.” I would then turn to the page corresponding to what I had chosen and find out what happened next. I suppose it was the very rudimentary precursor to video games. Perhaps I’m dating myself too much…
- In any case, it was a wonderful way to consider ‘what ifs’. What if I chose to go after the buried treasure, or jump into the pirates’ ship, or crawl into the trolls’ den? Being able to explore possibilities and imagine different outcomes were the real rewards of the journey.
- But at some point I turned away from imagining ‘what if’. Perhaps it happened gradually and that’s why I can’t pinpoint the moment. Somehow the ‘what ifs’ turned into real life ‘adventures’ like finding a bargain at the second-hand store, or jumping into the supermarket line-up at just the right time. Ho-hum.
- And so, I’ve decided to bring back this kind of imagination into my life this week in the 4 Minute Writer section. I’ll be creating ‘what if’ stories triggered by moments I chance upon throughout the week.
- Maybe I’ll see a man in strange attire and wonder “What if he’s headed to a convention of spies?”
- Maybe I’ll catch an elderly lady smiling knowingly at a bird and think “What if she’s found the blue bird of happiness?”
- What if creating these stories will allow me to imagine a different ‘what if’ for my real life?
Use the comment field to suggest a topic or to comment.